Friday, August 26, 2016

My journey towards clean eating and a paleo diet

For the past couple months I have fallen off eating healthier than I normally did. For me, this mainly includes NOT drinking any kind of soda (damn that Coca-Cola is so freaking good when it's fresh), not eating any kind of foods that were from a box (as in ready-made pastas or hamburger helpers), not over-indulging into sugars or snacks (candy, ice cream, cookies, chips, etc).

Today I decided to go to a farmer's market store in town to pick up some greens and fruits to make smoothies. For other items I couldn't find at the farmer's market, I went to Walmart Neighborhood Market. I found the following recipes around online, but took some ingredients out and added other things in that I wanted. Haven't tried them yet, but can't wait to get them all frozen and drink them up!

Recipe #1: Strawberry, Banana, Kale

 Recipe #2: Green Apple, Kiwi, Spinach, Lemon

 Recipe #3: Peach, Nectarine, Banana

I distributed each ingredient for every smoothie into quart-sized, freezer-safe, ziploc baggies and placed them in the freezer. I plan on using either water or milk for additional liquid, but you can also used things like almond milk, or Lactaid (if you're lactose-intolerant), coconut milk, Greek yogurt, or plain yogurt. My sister also tells me that I should buy "a million oranges" and use that as my liquid. 

I know my journey to permanently eating clean isn't going to just happen overnight and there will be some minor, yes minor, relapses to ice cream and a Snickers bar, but starting today I WILL be more aware of the food that I purchase and what I choose to put into my body.

That's a (pinky) promise.

Thanks for reading,

No comments:

Post a Comment